Young Adult Missionaries of the Connectional WMS of the AME Church

Young Adult Missionaries of the Connectional WMS of the AME Church

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Journey of a 7 Year Breast Cancer Survivor









7th District, Area 3rd Vice President

My unexpected breast cancer journey began in April, 2009. I was officially diagnosed on March, 25, 2011.

In April, 2009. I woke up, rolled over on my left side, and felt a mass. Immediately, I performed a “self-check” on both breasts. I didn’t feel a mass on my right breast, but what I felt in my left breast drew concerns which resulted in scheduling an appointment for a mammogram.

This was not my first mammogram.

I was unemployed at the time, therefore my service was provided through a program that financially assists persons who are in need of mammograms and have met certain financial criteria.

The mammogram was performed, however, the mass that I felt was not detected. I was persistent that there was a mass. Due to my persistence, an ultrasound was performed. The mass was detected and was diagnosed as benign though a biopsy was not performed. I asked the nurse if this is something that needs to be removed, and she stated “women walk around with lumps in their breast all of the time. If it doesn’t bother you, don’t worry.”

July, 2009, my gynecologist didn’t order a mammogram and stated that he would not aspirate the mass. June, 2010, he attempted to aspirate the mass 5 times but the needled was unable to penetrate the mass. He didn’t order a mammogram, stated that I don’t have a history (of breast cancer), I’m relatively healthy and recommended a second opinion. Since I was told by medical professionals that I was okay, I chose to continue my normal lifestyle.

February, 2011, I decided to have the mass removed. This time, I was employed and of course, with medical insurance.

The mammogram was scheduled for March 22, 2011. The next day, I received a call from the doctor’s office to return to the office for a follow-up visit on Thursday, March, 24, 2011. Earlier that day, I received a financial blessing and proclaimed that “I will tithe and pay off some bills”.

The second mammogram was performed and while I waited, I noticed that the nurse took a little longer to attend to me with the results. I began to pray.

The nurse came in the waiting suite, instructed me to put on my (suit) jacket and meet her in another room. In that room, I was met by another nurse and the radiologist and was informed that a biopsy needs to be performed due to what they “see”. The doctor’s face was pinkish-red and his expression was grim. The nurse held my hand, the biopsy was completed, I got dressed and drove to my God-mother’ house, in tears.

I didn’t work on March, 25, 2011 because, I had anticipated “that call”, from my doctor’s office would occur today. “That call” came at approximately 4:55 p.m. on March, 25, 2011-“Ms. Fleming, your biopsy shows that you have breast cancer. I was 44 years old. I requested not to be informed of which stage of cancer associated with my diagnosis but rather focus on successfully treating breast. It was accidentally revealed that I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer.

For a 1 ½ years, I endured counseling, procedures, surgeries, several rounds of chemotherapy and radiation, lumpectomy, prayers, tears, love and support. Today, I embrace my new normal, my second chance, BLESSED and CANCER FREE!