Young Adult Missionaries of the Connectional WMS of the AME Church

Young Adult Missionaries of the Connectional WMS of the AME Church

Monday, May 2, 2016

Prayer for Healing and Strength to Endure the Challenges That Come With Lupus

Scripture
John 11:4.  When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” 

C. S Lewis states best in The Problem of Pain, “We are, not metaphorically but in very truth, a Divine work of art, something that God is making, and therefore something with which He will not be satisfied until it has a certain character. Here again we come up against what I have called the “intolerable compliment.” Over a sketch made idly to amuse a child, an artist may not take much trouble: he may be content to let it go even though it is not exactly as he meant it to be. But over the great picture of his life—the work which he loves, though in a different fashion, as intensely as a man loves a woman or a mother a child—he will take endless trouble—and would doubtless, thereby give endless trouble to the picture if it were sentient. One can imagine a sentient picture, after being rubbed and scraped and re-commenced for the tenth time, wishing that it were only a thumb-nail sketch whose making was over in a minute. In the same way, it is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less.”
I was diagnosed Lupus six years ago. My grandmother and aunt suffered from it, so I should have had an understanding of what it was. I did not. Once I began to realize that this pain is real, I had feelings of denial, anger and even depression and grief.  Lord, what did I do wrong? Why do I have to feel this way? After I got over those initial feelings, reality began to set in. I knew I would not be the same person I once was. Some days I have to ease out of bed instead of just hopping up. I have to be very careful not to over extend myself and I try to avoid stress at all costs. It seems hard as we as young women lead very busy lives. But this is what I do to keep my mind healthy and to remain positive.
Take everything to God. Seek His counsel in everything! In too much pain to get out of bed? Allow Him to be your refuge from the pain. Feeling down because you’re unable to do the things you used to?  Don’t dwell on your limitations. Call His name. He’s a wonderful counselor and comforter.  
Get rid of the Debbie Downers. You know who they are.Those people that always bring negativity to everything they do, thus changing the mood of everyone around them.  A chronic illness can take a lot out of you. Surround yourself with positive people. I can’t tell you enough how negative and toxic people can drain your mind and body. They are not good for you or your health.
Volunteer.  Share your time, talents, and gifts with your church and community. You have a lot to contribute to this world! Being able to share your experiences withothers can be very rewarding. Not to mention, interaction with others can build self-worth and offer a sense of belonging.
Let it go.  You may feel let down by your family, your friends, and maybe even your church.  Forgive them and move on. You’re going to hear comments like, “You don’t look sick.” Or “You can’t have that, you’re too young.”Or my favorite, “I wish I can stay in bed all day.” Most people mean well and are actually trying to pay you a compliment.  Did you understand chronic illness before you suffered from it? Just let it go. It’s not worth your time and energy to get angry. I know it’s easier said than done, but for your well-being, let it go. Forgive and move on.

Prayer
Lord, today I pray that you help those that suffer from Lupus and other invisible and chronic illnesses. I pray that You bring restoration and healing into their being. Please provide the strength needed to face today sothere will be no worries tomorrow.   Amen

Jennifer Ellis
Episcopal Member-at-Large
5th Episcopal District

No comments:

Post a Comment